As a public benefit corporation, we are owned by our 19,500-strong membership of patients, public and staff, who are represented by the council of governors. Most of our governors are elected by the membership.
- provide a direct link to our local community
- represent the interests of members and the wider public in the stewardship and development of the Trust
- advise the board of directors, who have the operational responsibility for running the hospital.
In this way the population served by our hospitals is directly involved in the governance of the Trust.
Role of governors
Governors are very important to ensure a link between the members of the NHS Foundation Trust, the wider community and those who run the hospital.
The key roles of the governors are as follows:
- Advisory - advising the board of directors on decisions about the strategic direction of the organisation in ways consistent with the needs of the members and wider community
- Strategic - informing the development of the future strategy for the organisation
- Guardianship - ensuring that the NHS Foundation Trust operates in a way that fits with its statement of purpose and complies with its authorisation and for acting in a trustee role for the welfare of the organisation.
Governors play a very important role by ensuring there is a link between the members of the Trust, the wider community and those who run the hospital.
A key part of the governor’s role is to communicate with both the members who voted for them, whether staff, patients or members of the public in the surrounding area, and with the local community at large.
Governors also take an interest in specific areas of our performance, for example, monitoring our patients’ experience, quality and safety and financial performance.
Partner organisation governors
Professor Peter St George-Hyslop
University of Cambridge
NHS Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group
Professor John Clarkson
University of Cambridge
Cllr Mark Howell
Cambridgeshire County Council
Cllr Nicky Massey
Cambridge City Council
Royal Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Annette Thomas-Gregory
Anglia Ruskin University
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings of the Council of Governors will be held via video conference until further notice. If you wish to join the video conference to observe the meeting, please email the Trust Secretariat team for the meeting link.
Upcoming board meetings are on the event calendar.
Previous board meetings and papers can be found on our past events.