We recognise that our patients and our members of staff come from many ethnic, religious, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds, and will vary in their health, experiences, beliefs, genders and sexualities.
all equal | all different | all individual
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and ensuring equality in care, and continue to embed our equality and diversity values into our policies, procedures and everyday practice.
Equality in the NHS
Under the Equality Act 2010, NHS organisations have what is called a general equality duty. In practice this means that we must:
- eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act
- advance equality of opportunity between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- foster good relations between people who share a relevant protected characteristic and those who do not share it.
These are underpinned by the Public Sector Equality Duty which requires us to:
- publish information annually to show our compliance with the equality duty
- set and publish equality objectives, at least every four years
Equality for patients – Disability: reasonable adjustments
Every person with a disability who attends our hospitals, whether as a patient, member of staff or a visitor, should find their experience as positive as that of a non-disabled person. Making changes for disabled people in the built environment, in how we do things, or communicate, is known as making 'reasonable adjustments.'
If you think you may need any kind of adjustment when attending our hospitals in person, please contact the ward or department that you are visiting or will be treated in.
You may find it helpful to visit our accessibility page.
Diversity and inclusion calendar 2020
Our diversity calendar includes a mixture of religious festivals, as well as equality, diversity & inclusion related events and key dates. It's not intended as a prescriptive list and staff, patients or members of the public are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org suggest other noteworthy dates.