CUH Logo

Mobile menu open

How would you like us to communicate with you?

If you have a disability, impairment or sensory loss we want to make sure you can access and understand information, and receive any communication support you need.

We follow the guidance set out in the Accessible Information Standard.


  1. ask people if they have any information or communication needs, and find out how to meet their needs
  2. record those needs clearly and in a set way
  3. highlight or flag the person’s file or notes so it is clear that they have information or communication needs and how to meet those needs
  4. share information about people’s information and communication needs with other providers of NHS and adult social care, when we have consent or permission to do so
  5. take steps to ensure that people receive information which they can access and understand, and receive communication support if they need it.

Non-urgent advice: How to get support

Please tell us how you would like us to communicate with you, and if you need any support:

We will provide support if you are a patient, or if you are caring for someone who is a patient.

For example, you might need:

  • To be contacted by email or telephone.
  • To receive information in another language, audio, braille, easy read or large print.
  • To be supported by a communication professional at appointments if this is needed to support conversation, for example a British Sign Language interpreter.
  • More time in your appointment.
  • Help to use hearing aids.

Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) if you have any difficulties getting the support you need.

Accessibility information

We have a longstanding commitment to promote equality, eliminate harassment and value the diversity of our patients and staff. Equality means treating all our patients, visitors and staff fairly and ensuring that our services are equally accessible and understandable to all.

Find out more about our commitment to accessibility.