The multidisciplinary team
Following a diagnosis of a skin cancer, you will receive support and treatment from the skin cancer team. This team is also referred to as the multi-disciplinary team (MDT). Meetings are held once a week to plan treatment for skin cancer patients based on the best evidence and the experience of the team members.
Members of the MDT include:
- An MDT co-ordinator who provides clerical support.
- A Histopathologist who makes the diagnosis of skin cancer by looking at cells under a microscope.
- Dermatology Consultants
- Plastic Surgery Consultants
- Oncology Consultants
- Skin Cancer Specialist Nurses
The skin cancer specialist nurse
You are likely to meet several members of the MDT during your treatment. A named Keyworker will help co-ordinate your care and act as a link between you and other members of the MDT. This is usually the role of the Skin Cancer Specialist Nurse.
As well as being your point of contact to the MDT, the Skin Cancer Specialist Nurse can offer information, advice and support at any point. This may include:
- Information about investigations, procedures and treatments.
- Practical advice on a wide variety of issues ranging from symptom management to financial concerns.
- Emotional support.
The Skin Cancer Specialist Nurse can also help patients access other specialist health care services should this be considered appropriate.
Your Skin Cancer Specialist Nurses are Vicky McMorran, Emma Cargill and Caroline Hough
Direct phone number: 01223 348156 / 348025
When we are unable to answer your call, please leave a message on the answer phone and we will return your call as soon as possible. If your call is urgent, our answer phone message will direct you to other services in the hospital.
If you prefer to contact us via email:
If you wish to discuss any confidential or medical information with us, please ask for an email consent form. This can be scanned into your hospital records to show that you give permission for us to communicate with you via email. This is because we cannot ensure the security of any information that is sent in this way.
Your Skin Cancer Navigator Sian works in a non-clinical role alongside the multi-disciplinary team to help provide information and support to patients with a Skin Cancer Diagnosis.
Sian’s help can include but is not limited to:
- Information on how to manage practical concerns for example diet, fatigue and exercise.
- Signposting to support groups.
- Referrals for emotional support.
- Financial support. This can include referrals to the Macmillan Benefits Advice Service and applications for a Macmillan Grant.
This list is not exhaustive and Sian can help with other information and support needs.
Sian is available on 01223 216876 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively please direct postal queries to Oncology, Box 193, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ.
Appointments and enquiries
For plastic surgery and dermatology appointments:
01223 2162 34 (clinic 7 reception,)
For problems or advice following plastic surgery:
01223 348509 (plastic surgery unit)
For oncology appointments:
01223 216552 (oncology reception)
24 hour oncology helpline:
01223 274224 (cancer assessment unit or oncology ward out of hours)