Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has launched an appeal for scrubs to help supplement existing supplies.
The Trust says it needs sewing super-heroes to ensure Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Rosie maternity do not run out.
The hospitals have registered with ‘For the Love of Scrubs’, a national organisation of people who have come together to help provide frontline staff with scrubs. The organisation has drawn up patterns, materials and washing specifications for volunteers to follow and are available on a dedicated section to the Trust website, https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/scrub-donations
We, like many other hospitals up and down the country, have reached a point where we are calling on volunteers to help us bolster our supply of scrubs.Deputy medical director, Dr Liam Brennan
We think it is prudent to take advantage of the generous offers of help received, and we are grateful to the ‘For the Love of Scrubs’ community who have created very specific instructions on what is required, so all that is made can be fully utilised.
We would like to thank volunteers in advance for their help. We have been amazed by the outpouring of public support since the start of this crisis and cannot over emphasise how much this means to our staff.
The instructions for making scrubs say that:
- 3.5 metres of material needed per set of scrubs (with a good layout this could be 3 metres).
• Fabric should be 115gsm as a minimum, 130gsm is better, but 240gsm is too heavy.
• Please avoid 100 per cent cotton. Either 65/35, 80/20, 50/50 polyester/cotton is appropriate.
• The plainer the material the better – patterned material is harder to inspect for staining/damage.
• We require labels to be stitched into the waistband: the size and a label stating ‘CUH’
Anyone who has made a donation of scrubs can deliver them to Frank Lee Centre, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 0SN, between the hours of 7am and 10pm Monday to Friday and 8am to10pm on Saturday and Sunday.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.