- Remove the cap from the inhaler.
- Remove the cap from the Aerochamber.
- Shake inhaler and insert into the Aerochamber.
- Place the mouthpiece in the child’s mouth.
- Encourage your child to breathe in and out gently through the mouthpiece.
- Once breathing pattern is well established, press the inhaler as the child continues to breathe in and out slowly (tidal breathing) five more times.
- If you hear a musical sound, the child is breathing in too hard or fast.
- Remove the mouthpiece from the child’s mouth and let them breathe normally.
- For further dose of the medication, repeat.
- Replace the caps on the inhaler and Aerochamber.
We are smoke-free
Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the hospital campus. For advice and support in quitting, contact your GP or the free NHS stop smoking helpline on 0800 169 0 169.
Help accessing this information in other formats is available. To find out more about the services we provide, please visit our patient information help page (see link below) or telephone 01223 256998. www.cuh.nhs.uk/contact-us/accessible-information/
Cambridge University Hospitals
NHS Foundation Trust
Hills Road, Cambridge
Telephone +44 (0)1223 245151