CUH Logo

Mobile menu open

Emotional support for children, young people and their families

Patient information A-Z

Our service

We understand how hard it can be for all the family when a child or young person is diagnosed with cancer or a life changing haematological condition. We are happy to see all members of your family from diagnosis, through treatment and until your child transfers to adult services. This leaflet outlines what services are available for parents/guardians and for the child or young person.

Who we are

We are experienced counsellor practitioners and clinical psychologists and we can help you and your family explore and cope with the many challenges you face. We provide a space for you to talk.

We also work with all other team members.

The counsellor practitioner can:

  • Explore and reflect on the way you all think and feel.
  • Help you identify effective ways of coping with your current situation.
  • Offer support to other family members and couples.
  • Help you cope with strong feelings such as anxiety and anger.
  • Help you manage relationships at challenging times.
  • Help you deal with difficult thoughts and feelings.

We can meet with you and your partner/wife/husband or separately. Sometimes this may be one or two meetings or a number of sessions can be arranged.

The clinical psychologist is trained in child development and to understands how children, young people and adults think, feel and behave.

The clinical psychologist helps children, young people and their parents with a number of difficulties. We can help your child/young person:

  • Cope with feelings related to their condition.
  • Manage strong feelings such as feeling sad and low or angry.
  • Cope with difficulties caused by treatment such as hair loss, feeling sick or tired or feeling different to friends because of the treatment effects.
  • Manage friendships when undergoing treatment.
  • Cope with worries about school.
  • Cope with worries about finishing treatment and the future.
  • Explore any learning issues at school.

We may offer one session or a number of sessions. We see children and young people alone or with their family and we also see parents on their own.

Sometimes we try and find counsellors or psychologists who are more local to you.

Contacting us

If you would like to arrange to talk to us please email using the details below. You can also ask your nurse and doctor to refer you.

Email the Onc-Haem family support team

We are smoke-free

Smoking is not allowed anywhere on the hospital campus. For advice and support in quitting, contact your GP or the free NHS stop smoking helpline on 0800 169 0 169.

Other formats

Help accessing this information in other formats is available. To find out more about the services we provide, please visit our patient information help page (see link below) or telephone 01223 256998.

Contact us

Cambridge University Hospitals
NHS Foundation Trust
Hills Road, Cambridge

Telephone +44 (0)1223 245151