The precision breast cancer institute (PBCI), led by Dr Jean Abraham, is the central focal point where the clinical information and samples given by patients as part of ethically approved studies / trials are brought together, processed and prepared for use in scientific and clinical research. The PBCI is part of the University of Cambridge department of oncology and the CRUK Cambridge centre.
Information for patients
The PBCI aims to transform the patient clinical care pathway by translating cutting-edge scientific advances into treating and managing breast cancer more precisely for each individual patient and their families.
The PBCI is located in a dedicated research facility adjacent to the Cambridge breast unit. Our purpose-built consulting rooms and specially trained staff allow us to offer breast cancer patients the opportunity to participate in pioneering research studies alongside their NHS treatment. The team works closely with the CUH cancer services, including the Cambridge breast, Cambridge cancer trials centre and Cambridge clinical trials unit to deliver a broad portfolio of breast cancer clinical trials and studies. Our goal is to improve outcomes for future breast cancer patients, whilst making participation in research as beneficial and easy to understand as possible for those diagnosed with breast cancer today.
- Not every patient is eligible to join every study. We offer studies based on clinical criteria and patients’ best interests.
- Participants enrolled in our studies normally benefit from additional monitoring and support from our experienced nursing and study coordination teams, and may be eligible for access to new diagnostics/ treatments that are not available on the NHS.
- Wherever possible, research visits will be booked to fit around scheduled clinical or surgical appointments.
- Participation in research studies is entirely voluntary and consent may be withdrawn at any time, without affecting a patient’s standard NHS treatment for breast cancer.
- Research studies carried out at the PBCI have received full ethical approval from an independent research ethics committee, and comply with all regulatory requirements for England and Wales.
If you are interested in getting involved in our research, or finding out whether you are eligible to join a particular study, please ask your breast surgeon, oncologist or breast care nurse at your next appointment, who will be happy to put you in touch with our team.
Alternatively, you are welcome to speak to one of our research team on 01223 348931.