CUH Logo

Mobile menu open

Help with travel

We have a number of ways that we can support you with your travel to and from our hospitals.

Patient transport

If you have a medical need that means you are unable to travel in a standard car, on public transport or by yourself in a taxi, your ward or clinic (opens in a new tab) may be able to organise hospital transport.

If you’re an inpatient and hospital transport has been arranged for you please ensure that prior to your discharge your family/friends collect your belongings as the ambulance is only able to take one small bag per patient, plus your discharge medicines.

Please be aware that you will be travelling with other patients on the ambulance which will increase your journey time home.

We will not be able to allow a family member to travel with you as this will be taking the seat of another patient.

Help with travel costs

Full details about the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (opens in a new tab) is available on NHS.UK.

Urgent advice: Urgent advice: Travel claims

The outpatient travel claims desk is currently closed until further notice. If you would like to claim back your travel expenses, please collect a HC5(T) form from the outpatient main reception. The outpatient main reception is available to assist you with completing the HC5(T) form. The form can only accept appointment claims from the last 3 months, anything older than 3 months will not be accepted


You can find out if you are eligible to receive help with your travel expenses to and from the hospital for your appointments on NHS.UK. (opens in a new tab)

What you are entitled to claim back

  • Mileage: 15p per mile
  • Car parking (include the ticket receipt in the HC5 form)
  • Bus / train tickets (include the tickets/receipts in the HC5 form)


If someone is required to attend your appointment with you for medical purposes, you’ll need to get an escort form signed by a consultant or senior nurse. Unfortunately, without this the HC5 form will not accept your claim.

A&E patients

You are entitled to claim if you have had to attend A&E for a pre-existing condition that you are already being treated for in our Outpatients department. If you have had to attend A&E for any other reason, then you are not eligible to claim via HC5.


Taxis are not accepted by HC5 forms.

Visiting an inpatient?

You cannot claim help with travel costs if you are visiting someone in hospital. However, visitors in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits may be able to receive assistance in the form of a Social Fund payment. Further information about this assistance can be obtained from Jobcentre Plus offices.

Please note that all information is based on Department of Health and Social Care (opens in a new tab) guidelines.