Accessibility tools
cuh logo

In an emergency

When you are ill or injured it is important you receive the right level of care at the right time.

Urgent advice: In an emergency call 999

In an emergency you should call 999 or go to your nearest Emergency Department.

The Emergency Department (ED) is for major, life-threatening illnesses and injuries.

  • Blacking out or loss of consciousness
  • Persistent, severe chest pain
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke

Do you need to be here?

If your condition is not life threatening then there may be a more suitable service available. Help us to reduce the pressure on our emergency department by choosing well.


Everyday injuries and minor ailments are best treated in your own home. Try over-the-counter medication and rest for everything from coughs and colds to headaches and constipation.

NHS 111

NHS 111 is not an emergency number but a quick, easy way of receiving medical help and advice. You can call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All calls are free.

If the advisor thinks you need to be seen they may arrange an out of hours appointment for you. 

You can also access the service online.


Pharmacists can offer advice on many problems, including coughs, colds, aches and pains or recommend a GP visit. Many have private consultation rooms where you can talk to the pharmacist in confidence without an appointment. 

Find your nearest local pharmacy

GP Surgery

Your local GP surgery provides a wide range of services. They offer health advice, treatment and examinations, vaccinations and can refer you to other services, support or specialist care.

Further information on GP surgeries

Minor injuries units

Minor injuries units deal with non-urgent illness or injury. The units are usually nurse-led and appointments are not necessary.

View a list of minor injuries and urgent treatment centres