CUH Logo

Mobile menu open

Baby loss certificate

The government has launched a voluntary scheme to allow parents to record and receive a certificate to provide recognition of baby loss before 24 weeks.

Certificates are issued free of charge and can only be obtained via the government website: (opens in a new tab) (opens in a new tab)

Criteria to apply:

  • You have experienced a loss under 24 weeks gestation since 1 September 2018*  
  • Are at least 16 years of age  
  • Were living in England at the time of the loss 
  • Currently live in England 
  • Are one of the baby’s parents or surrogate

* The scheme is starting with losses since 2018, any losses prior to 2018 will be available in time.