Information for patients
Fit 4 Surgery is a service for patients due to have major surgery at our hospitals.
Fit 4 Surgery is a weekly virtual group session on Zoom, run by consultant anaesthetists, senior physiotherapists and pre-assessment clinical nurse specialists.
Fit 4 Surgery is currently a Cancer Alliance funded pilot, therefore not available to all specialties – please ask your surgeon or specialist nurse for more information and to find out if you are eligible to attend.
Key benefits of attending:
- Knowledge of anaesthetic and how to prepare
- Updated information on COVID restrictions at CUH
- Awareness of pain relief options post-operatively
- Increased exercise pre-operatively
- Knowledge on how to practically prepare for coming in, and going home after surgery
- Breathing exercises using an incentive spirometer – a device to improve deep breathing and clearance of secretions
- The opportunity to ask questions to a number of specialist professionals about the elective surgical pathway
- Signposting to charities and other organisations who may provide support e.g. Macmillan, CAMQUIT
- Smoking cessation advice and onward referrals if requested
CUH Fit 4 Surgery Patient Journey