The department of anaesthesia is a large department with over sixty consultants and associate specialists. The department is situated in main hospital building, on level 4, C and D block.
The department of anaesthesia provides comprehensive anaesthetic services to the following specialties:
- Accident service / orthopaedics / trauma/ major trauma
- Breast surgery
- Community dental clinic
- General surgery, including upper gastro-intestinal and colorectal
- Gynaecology and gynaecological oncology
- Oral and maxillo-facial surgery
- Paediatrics / neonatology
- Plastic surgery
- Radiotherapy / oncology
- Transplantation - renal, pancreatic, corneal, hepatic
- Vascular surgery
The department is responsible for the chronic and acute pain service, adult intensive care and neurosciences critical care unit. It is also responsible for the organisation of the day surgery unit, including facilities at Ely.
The department provides extensive educational and training opportunities as well as opportunities in clinical audit and research. The department has close links with the academic department, which is one of the foremost of its kind in the country. The academic department is closely involved with the NHS department in service work and undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.