Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Responding to your feedback: these pages give information about how you can provide your feedback on our services and how we can help you with any concerns.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
Box 53
Cambridge University Hospitals
NHS Foundation Trust
Hills Road

01223 216756


Your comments, compliments, concerns and complaints will help us improve the services we provide to our patients.


The PALS and Complaints office is currently closed. A helpline will be open from 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday to respond to questions and concerns about the CoVID 19 (coronavirus) outbreak.

Helpline: 01223 216756 or email

In view of the current restrictions on visiting the hospital, we can pass messages from friends and relatives to patients who do not have access to telephone or email. Contact the helpline above by phone or email.

The usual PALS and Complaints service will continue by telephone and email. Depending on the level of calls and enquiries we receive, we may not be able to respond to you in a timely manner.

We thank you for your co-operation.


If you, your relatives or your carers are unhappy in any way with any part of your treatment, or the service you receive while in hospital or an outpatient clinic, you or they should speak to a member of the ward or clinic staff as soon as possible.

If you feel unable to speak directly to staff, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and complaints team who can help you. You can call in to our office, telephone 01223 216756 or email

If you are an inpatient you can telephone free from your Hospedia telephone: please call *801

A friend or relative can contact us on your behalf, but we must have your permission before we discuss your personal circumstances with anyone else.

We can also visit you on the ward to discuss your concerns.

We may need to look at your medical records in order to answer your questions or investigate a complaint.  Please let us know straightaway if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Very often problems can be resolved swiftly, so please contact us as soon as possible.

It is helpful if you can tell us your hospital number or NHS number when you contact us.

Please be reassured that raising a concern will not have a negative impact on the care and treatment you receive here.

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

The PALS team can:

  • Help answer any questions about your care and treatment here in hospital.
  • Advise and support you and your family. We understand that being in hospital can be an anxious time, and you might need someone to act on your behalf.
  • Listen to your suggestions for improving our service for patients and visitors and provide feedback to Trust staff.
  • Help resolve your concerns if you are unhappy with any aspect of your care.
  • Pass on your compliments to staff if you are pleased with the way they cared for you.

We work closely with staff across the Trust to resolve problems promptly. The PALS team will acknowledge any contact within two working days and aim to resolve any issues within ten working days.

You can contact the PALS team by phone  01223 216756, email or letter PALS and Complaints Department, Box 53, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ.

If the PALS team cannot resolve your concerns, or if you would like to register your issues more formally, you may wish to raise a complaint. More information can be found here: Making a complaint 

Support for people raising concerns

If you require support or advocacy from a source outside the hospital, you can contact an organisation which provide NHS complaints advocacy.  For most people attending CUH, the organisation providing this service is ‘Total Voice’.  Total Voice will be able to direct you to other advocacy organisations if you are outside the area they cover.

Advocacy services are free and independent of the NHS and can support you to make an NHS complaint yourself, or an advocate can help you write letters and will attend meetings at the hospital. More information is on their website.

You can also contact Healthwatch Cambridgeshire. Healthwatch is an independent organisation which ensures that people have a say in important decisions about their health and social care services in their area. They can also signpost you to the relevant NHS complaints advocacy service. If you live outside Cambridgeshire you can find your local Healthwatch by visiting the website

Show on hub page: