Researchers who are employed by a university or charitable organisation need to apply for access to our site/patients via the research passport system. This allows us to ensure that all research staff are appropriately qualified, trained and vetted before commencing work. 

The R&D HR Office will issue an honorary research contract or a letter of access to researchers following submission of a successful application. The decision on whether an HRC or LoA is appropriate is dependent on the nature of the research activity. This is also true of the supporting documentation required by the Trust.

The Research Passport HR Good Practice Resource Pack from the NIHR can be used to identify whether a DBS (previously CRB clearance) or occupational health clearance is required.

The RP application form can be downloaded below.  Once sections 1-6 are completed the form should be submitted to the R&D HR office, along with a CV and any other appropriate supporting documentation.

Employed by another NHS Trust (i.e. not CUH)?

Researchers who have an NHS employment contract with another NHS Trust or NHS honorary clinical contract with another trust should not use the RP application form. 

Please download and complete the NHS to NHS confirmation of pre-engagement checks form.

If you are in any doubt please contact us or email and we will be pleased to advise you.

Click here for the Research Passport Application Form

Show on hub page: