Listening to you
We are committed to improving the quality of treatment and care that you receive. We regularly review the feedback given by our patients and their families and take action to make things better.
The Patient Engagement and Surveys team reports feedback to the Trust’s bi-monthly Patient Experience Group. Patient feedback is also monitored by the Patient Safety Group, Quality Committee and the Board.
You said, we did
Here are some examples of the actions we have taken in response to your comments.
New easy to read name badges
You said: that you didn’t know the name or role of the member of staff speaking to or caring for you and names on badges on lanyards are often hidden.
We did: we introduced new pin on name badges for our staff. Staff names are written in black on a yellow background making them easier for all patients to see, including those with impaired vision.
The distinctive #hellomynameis badges are designed to be clearly visible and to remind staff of the importance of introducing themselves.
Helping improve patients’ sleep and rest on inpatient wards
We know that hospital can be a busy noisy place and patient feedback tells us that noise from staff and patients can make getting good restorative sleep difficult. The Sleep Sound Sleep Safe working group introduced sleep well packs on all wards.
It has also carried out a number of other improvements:
- Identified noisy equipment (eg telephones) which can be adjusted to reduce noise levels
- Quieter door closures were fitted by estates
- Foam pads were added to bin lids to reduce banging on closure
- Adjustable call bell volumes (when old systems are replaced)
- Staff asked to wear quiet shoes
- Staff asked to prevent keys etc jangling on lanyards
- Staff reminded to speak as quietly as possible at night
- Sleep promotion posters were displayed in wards
- Staff encouraged to close blinds and dim lights in corridors and patients bays at night
- Presentations were delivered to increase awareness of the impact of noise at night
- Noise warning systems in intensive care
- Key pads on doors silenced
- Hospedia TVs now turn on at 7am instead of 5am
The Patient Engagement and Surveys Team can be contacted between the hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Telephone: 01223 274874
Patient Engagement & Surveys
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Cambridge Biomedical Campus